Providing green web hosting and ISP services – doing everything we can to protect the environment within an industry which consumes a massive amount of power is important to everyone at WebMate. So as well as recycling, reducing our power usage and participating in environmental, initiatives, both locally and worldwide, we offset 100% of the electricity and gas we use in our offices and datacenters – certified 19.32 tonnes of Co2 in 2018-2019. We’re constantly looking at new ways to be green.
Trees are essential to maintaining our climate and biodiversity. Trees contribute to the global environment by improving air quality, conserving water, preserving soil, and supporting wildlife. We support international tree-planting projects – discover where here
Carbon reduction projects
We support a range of carbon reduction products from improving cooking stove efficiency in poorer countries to green energy initiatives throughout the world. Read about case studies.
Our Internal Carbon Reduction initiatives
The internet consumes a massive amount of electricity for servers, switches and air-conditioning to keep the servers cool. To off-set the energy that we have to use that’s not from renewable sources, we buy carbon-credits to do our bit elsewhere.
As well as helping to fund projects around the world to achieve carbon-neutrality from the large amounts of electricity our servers burn, we do what we can in our offices and datacenters to limit our impact on the environment. So much so that our own carbon consumption has been reduced by over 50% over the last 2 years. These include:
- All LED Lighting in our offices
- Efficient Heat Exchanger to replace power-hungry air conditioning units in our offices
- Replacing spinning drives with power-efficient SSD’s
- Using lower-power CPU units for backup and non-essential servers
- Our own electric BMW i3 Pool car for travel wherever possible (one of our biggest savings)
- Choosing greener energy suppliers where possible, to run datacenters on renewable power wherever possible (currently around 30% of the electricity we use is from renewable sources – and were increasing this all the time).
WebMate Environmental Policy Mission
Whilst we can’t actually run our hundreds of servers and switches on vegetable oil for practical reasons (although we’re still hoping), by carbon-offsetting and following our environmental mission policy, we can sleep better knowing we’re doing what we can to help the planet.